Re: Woodwind Fingering diagrams problem

From: Wim van Dommelen
Subject: Re: Woodwind Fingering diagrams problem
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 09:42:57 +0100

Hi Joseph,

On 29 Jan 2013, at 23:22 , Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:

-- more realistic key shapes and placement for the diagrams (this is a
     minor quibble, but nice if it can be done);

  -- an option to display unused as well as used keys (Wim's request);
E.g. with a property '(showall . #t)', see discussion below.

-- an option to place the diagram upside down, so looking at it you see what you see as a player looking down the instrument. I've seen this
     used in one or two different fingering references and it has some
     merit, even though I most likely wouldn't use it myself.
That would probably be a global addition to presenting a (graphical) diagram, not necessarily placed inside the woodwind code. Searching for this I found a remark with "upsidedown" in a discussion on fret properties. If that would be implemented as a wrapper function, it could do more. A woodwind wrapper function could be called (or modified) for example like this:

\set woodwindProperties = #'((color . red) (graphical . #f) (upsidedown . #t) (showall . #f))

The upsidedown would be your request, the '(graphical . #f)' already exists in another format (currently: '\override #'(graphical . #f)', page 370/371 of the version 2.16.0 notation manual). Maybe both the woodwind and fret (and more?) could use a generic wrapper function. The real syntax I leave to the real programmers. Properties "size" and "thickness" are already available now, but could be integrated.

Besides this, I think it's worth giving some careful thought to how best to support members of the clarinet family with extended range (i.e. low Eb, D, Db, C; there are a few instruments that also have a low B).
That is why the "low-bass-clarinet" stencil exists. That is (as I reverse engineer it) intended for bass-clarinet toward low-C (the concert model) whereas the "bass-clarinet" is the low-Ees (streetmodel).

There may be more, but I think that's it. If you like, I could see about making a scan of a page or two from Philip Rehfeldt's "New Directions for Clarinet" which indicates appropriate key names and has examples using a key-name based fingering system.
Mmmhh, sounds interesting.

Best wishes,

   -- Joe

Regards,