Re: point and click

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: point and click
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 09:47:58 -0400

On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 8:04 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

The links do no harm.  If at any point of time file size is a problem
for any given person, he can reduce it himself.

I have a problem with this statement. If they do no harm, why then does the Usage file say:

"Note: You should always turn off point and click in any LilyPond files to be distributed to avoid including path information about your computer in the .pdf file, which can pose a security risk"

And this is in the Usage file! So what we have is a significant portion (whether it's a majority or not) who are exposing themselves to a potential security risk, and don't even know it, because after all, does an average user who isn't doing something outside a typical piece of sheet music read the usage file? And I had to specifically search for this reference to dig it out, knowing it was there.

I understand how the links can be useful in a limited set of circumstances, but I would tend to think that the default would be to turn them off, if it's significant enough that the documentation says "should always."