Re: film score example

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: film score example
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 13:29:26 +0200

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> 2013/9/14 Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden>:
>>> Please take a look at this snippet:
>>> http://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/blob/master/input-shorthands/articulations-not-aligned-with-notes.ly
>>> It has some issues, but you'll get an idea immediately after compiling
>>> it.  I think it's clever and could probably be added to default LilyPond.
>>
>> I would prefer an even more straight-forward input, if possible.
>>
>> On a related note, something I've been asking for forever (and
>> willing to sponsor) is the ability to change the bounds of
>> horizontal spanners by duration — that would solve this problem
>> easily, without need for additional voices.
>
> As far as i see, implementing this with some reasonable and
> user-friendly syntax would require a substantial discussion.  We tried
> to discuss these "GLISS" things last September, but the outcome was
> somewhat discouraging...

The "discussion" in one prong centered on the topic of tieing down the
syntax where no further changes would be allowed even when they make
sense, and on another prong focused on proposing syntactical constructs
that did not fit with the existing syntax while not offering any
tangible benefits over using music functions.

"The ability to change the bounds of horizontal spanners by duration" is
by its nature a backend capability.  It does not require inventing a new
syntax.

> I think this has to wait until we have more people experienced with
> parser work (yes, this means an indefinite amount of time... :/)

Shrug.  You can already write things like

\version "2.17.25"

"@" =
#(define-music-function (parser location t e m)
   (ly:duration? ly:event? ly:music?)

\new Staff
{<<address@hidden/address@hidden/3\<@1\!c''1\mf\>}\\
   {<>\pp\<\repeat unfold 16 cis'16 <>\mp}>>
 <es' g' cis'' e''>1}
so we have several tools in place for turning LilyPond into Perl
_without_ needing to tamper with the parser.  But there is no actual
_need_ to turn LilyPond into Perl in order to do useful work with it.

--
David Kastrup