Re: [ANNOUNCE] New Portfile for Frescobaldi on Mac (Wilbert Berendsen)

From: Philippe Massart
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] New Portfile for Frescobaldi on Mac (Wilbert Berendsen)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 07:11:49 +0200

Hello,

Before trying to find a solution to your situation (it will take some time to investigate), I think interesting to point some possible explanations about what occurred.

I think that to problem comes from the coexistence of macport installed frescobaldi, and manually installed (even with with macport dependencies): some libraries (python-poppler-qt4, mainly) make a link between frescobaldi and other dependencies. If these are installed by macports, a file is created in the macport install tree. That's why it says that a file already exists when trying to activate the "macport frescobaldi". The problem is not frescobaldi itself, but the link with the dependencies.

Usually, a macport message error mentions a solution: "force the activation" (something like "sudo port -f activate frescobaldi-devel). Macport then makes a copy of the former link file and allows the link between the dependencies and the "macport installed" frescobaldi (I sent a message to the list about that).

Now, the errors you have when trying to open files come probably from the folders you moved. I don't remember if there is a feature like "rebuild" in macport, but the first things I would do in this case would be:
- repair authorisation
- re-install macport :/ (or at least remove frescobaldi (the macport version) and the dependencies you don't use (to uninstall frescobaldi and its dependencies without removing the dependencies used by other ports, I think the command looks like sudo port -fellow-dependencies frescobaldi-devel Double check in the help of macport)

The idea is to really avoid touching manually the macport tree.

Like you, I had a manually installed frescobaldi version; since "forcing" the activation of the portfile, my both frescobaldi install are now working: the one from macport, the other manually installed (and sync via github).

Hope this could help (at least for further investigations)

Philippe