Re: Violin tab for fiddle tunes

From: R.D. Latimer
Subject: Re: Violin tab for fiddle tunes
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 10:53:16 -0400

HI David,
 Yes I agree with all you're saying.  My motivation right now is I'm teaching some Fiddle classes to beginner types of students.  I can read music fine.  In this folk tradition many/most of the players play by ear, not by reading sheet music.
I was thinking that a violin tab in 1st position would be good for beginners learning by ear.

I can always print sheet music with the fingering above all the notes.  A tab notation for fiddle tunes looks nice and simple.
But maybe it's not worth the effort?  Anyway, Lilypond may want to point that out in any sections you have on Lilypond tab.  Even though there's a violin option, the way it's being done is not of much use to players...I don't think,
Thanks again, I guess the fiddle tab is a decent idea, but not there,
Randy

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> "R.D. Latimer" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm searching for decent examples of violin tab, I don't see many out there
>> on the web.
>> Here's one
>> http://www.jaybuckey.com/pdf/Free%20Tablature/amazing_grace_fiddle_tablature.pdf
>>
>> It'd be great if Lilypond has this feature,
>> Thanks again
>
> The problem here is that this is indeed not really as much a tablature
> as a fingering chart.  The information is incomplete.

To get more concrete: let's assume that we are talking about a fiddling
piece like the following unfinished fragment I found lying on my hard
drive.  The fingering instructions are not necessarily wholly complete
or accurate since I actually don't have a violin in my house and did not
have one at the time I wrote this down.

But you should be able to figure it out nonetheless.  In the first
measure, there is a already a certain position/fingering divergence
because of physical necessities.  Still, this is a rather
straightforward shuffle.  So how would you want to have the first
measure look in tablature?

A scan or photograph of a sketch is fine.

--
David Kastrup