Re: How to connect Midi keyboard to Lilypond?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: How to connect Midi keyboard to Lilypond?
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 17:09:04 +0100

On Thu, 2013-09-26 at 09:32 +0000, James Harkins wrote:
> - With a MIDI keyboard, I would be back to the Finale hell of
> correcting
> enharmonic misspellings.

Enharmonic misspellings are a thing of the past if you use Denemo to
play in the pitches from a MIDI keyboard. Firstly, because the set of
enharmonics are adjusted to suit the keysignature (and can be shifted
further flatwise/sharpwise to suit modulations) and secondly because
there is a very simple pitch-spelling algorithm in Denemo: augmented and
diminished intervals are played in a different channel, so that you are
alerted if you enter C followed by D-sharp instead of C followed by
E-flat - it sounds on a different instrument.
Since introducing this I have had zero enharmonic misspellings in my
transcriptions. But this might not be suitable for some sorts of music,
I confess.

Richard