Re: barré fret diagram guitar

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: barré fret diagram guitar
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 15:15:24 +0000

On 9/24/13 12:57 AM, "bart deruyter" <address@hidden> wrote:

>Now the fretboard diagrams have to be mixed into the score, which really
>is not nice. It's harder to read the lilypond file, and I have to dig
>into the score code to get a version without diagrams instead of just
>modifying the score part.

The terse diagram syntax won't work for this case, because we can't say
where to
start a barre if the string is muted (we can't infer the fret from the x,
although we
could from the barre-end on string 1; but the code doesn't do look ahead).

The solution is to use the verbose fret diagram syntax:

\addChordShape #'bes:m/f #guitar-tuning
#'((mute 6) (mute 5) (place-fret 4 3 3) (place-fret 3 3 4)
    (place-fret 2 2 2) (barre 5 1 1))

You can read about the verbose fret diagram syntax in the Notation
Reference.
While it is more complex to read and write than the terse syntax, it is
much more
versatile (e.g. you can have more than one dot per string).

We probably should add an example to Predefined Fret Diagrams that shows a
verbose diagram; the text says it can be done, but there is no example.

Bart, could you make a tiny example and post it to bug, so we can get an
issue
raised?

Thanks,

Carl