overlapping contexts and consequences

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: overlapping contexts and consequences
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 15:24:26 -0400

Hello all,

In my choral scores, I often want centered dynamics and centered lyrics, e.g.,

  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \new Staff = "SA" \lady_music
    \new Dynamics \choir_dynamics
    \new Lyrics \choir_lyrics
    \new Staff = "TB" \man_music

1. When the dynamics and lyrics *don't* occupy the same moment (i.e.,
horizontal placement), I would like the lyrics and dynamics to be "squashed"
onto the same vertical axis.

2. When the dynamics and lyrics *do* occupy the same moment, and there is
opportunity for the dynamic to slide left or right (e.g., at the beginning of a
system), I would like that to happen (i.e., *rather* than the dynamic sliding
up or down).

3. When the dynamics and lyrics *do* occupy the same moment, and there is no
[reasonable] opportunity for the dynamic to slide left or right (e.g., in the
middle of a measure), I would like to set a #'direction parameter which would
determine which way (UP or DOWN) the dynamic would slide to avoid collision.

What is the best way to achieve any or all of these results "automagically"?

I assume it will involve modifying the extra-spacing-height and/or -width of
both the Lyrics (or LyricText) and Dynamics (or DynamicText or
DynamicLineSpanner) contexts, but I'm hoping it's no more than that (i.e., that
it won't require a whole bunch of new programming or complex custom engravers).

Thanks,
Kieren.