Re: Bug in articulate.ly

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Bug in articulate.ly
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 23:40:29 +0100

Am 28.02.2015 um 20:11 schrieb H. S. Teoh:
On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 05:14:09PM -0800, Flaming Hakama by Elaine wrote:
[...]
I've recently been using lilypond with articulate.ly to produce midi
versions of pieces and have to say that, despite its limitations, I've
been getting results that are not terrible.
I've been getting mixed results.
[snip]
Another example is that you could indicate "tempo rubato" and then
specify as interpretation one of the many possible actual tempo(s) that
would be used for rendering the MIDI.
If I may chime in with my opinion on this: there may be some point in translating articulations into midi, but tempo rubato is in itself meant to be subjective and thus marks the point where a human performer cannot and must not be replaced by a machine. Thus I find the sketched approach more than a little absurd, if you permit the remark. It’s neither possible, nor rewarding, nor even desirable to substitute real music making by electronic simulation, (at least for most kinds of music, and certainly every music which can be reasonably typeset with lilypond belongs in this category).

Yours, Simon