Re: exercises book

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: exercises book
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 00:14:28 +0100

Am 05.03.2015 um 00:00 schrieb Carlo Vanoni:
Hi Simon,

thanks for the answer.
You’re very welcome.
Well, your code helped me. In fact, my problem was that I was not sure I can create multiple \score {}.
See <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/input-structure> for more information. Well, the LM section <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/learning/introduction-to-the-lilypond-file-structure> doesn’t explicitly say this, only it speaks about “every \score block”, which allows the conclusion that there may be more than one…

By creating a \score for each exercise, inserting your code in the brakets, I was able to create the exercises page.
So, I have something like this

\score
{
<< \new ChordNames \chordsExI
\new StaffGroup \with { instrumentName = "Ex 1" } <<
\new Staff \musicExI
\new TabStaff \musicExI >>

}

\score
{
<< \new ChordNames \chordsExII
\new StaffGroup \with { instrumentName = "Ex 2" } <<
\new Staff \musicExII
\new TabStaff \musicExII >>

}

[...]

Now, I'll like to have each exercise on a single line, or by the way control when to break. I'm able to avoid automatic break by adding \noBreak here and there, but in seems not like the best way to do it. Any better way to force, i.e., to break only after 5 bars for exercise1, 4 bars for exercise2, ...?
Yes, you’ll find it if you search the manuals for “line-break-permission”.
Also, if an exercise won't be automatically broken, it won't fill the page width. How to let every exercise to fill the page width? Tried ragged-last, ragged-last-bottom on \paper definition, but it didn't work.
Actually, ragged-last should work… see <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/line-length#index-ragged_002dlast-2> just set to ##f, either in \paper or in \layout.

Good night, Simon