Re: bookOutputName

From: Graham King
Subject: Re: bookOutputName
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 11:42:47 +0100

Hi Jonathan,
some suggestions, inline, below...

On Thu, 2015-07-30 at 20:25 +0000, Jenny^H^H^H^H^HJonathan wrote:
Hi. I've been using LP 2.18.2 for a few months quite successfully. I'm on Windows 7.
Recently I downloaded Frescobaldi. I then started having problems running LP, which I thought must be because I was using a couple of include files, and I didn't know how to tweek Frescobaldi to accept them.
In your source files, it is good practice to use relative filenames for includes.  So
\include "to/foo.ily"
rather than
\include "/some/path/to/foo.ily"
(I learned that lesson the hard way...)
Then, in Frescobaldi:  Preferences -> Lilypond Preferences -> Lilypond include path, and add "/some/path"
I'm not sure whether Windows will require backslashes; you might need to experiment.

So I uninstalled it (and LP, and reinstalled that). None of my previous ly files would compile any more.
I was also running lilypond-windows rather than from the command line, but although the behaviour was slightly different, neither was working.
I eventually worked out that the names of my include files had spaces, and LP could no longer recognise them.
This seems quite reasonable (!) but before I correct the forty or so faulty documents, is there any explanation?
Multiple possible explanations, but my personal preference would be to avoid spaces at all costs.  These files can be operated on by various tools, and it only takes one programming- or configuration-error to mis-parse a filename that contains spaces.  Better, and simpler, IMHO, to bite the bullet and change all instances of
\include "one file or four.ily"
\include "one_file_or_four.ily"
This will spare you a lot of grief in the long term, and will also spare anyone with whom you might subsequently share your work.

Hope this helps
-- Graham