Re: Positioning Dynamics Contexts

From: Cynthia Karl
Subject: Re: Positioning Dynamics Contexts
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 11:08:50 -0500

> On Aug 4, 2015, at 10:04 AM, Kevin Barry <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 3:53 PM, Cynthia Karl <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Is there a useful way to get closer association of a staff and a dynamics
>> context in the following snippet?
>
> Two things suggest themselves, although you may not like either idea:
>
> 1) You could add dynamicsA to the upper Staff (instead of it having
> its own Dynamics context). That would keep everything in it closer to
> the upper staff, viz.
>
> \new Staff << \musicA \dynamicsA >>

I really like that idea because my real case is a 10 page ms with seven
instruments, for which I need to produce not only a score but various
combinations of parts; the 2nd idea of adding invisible stuff to the dynamics
to keep them alive in all systems seems a little unwieldy.

But I’ve run into a problem I don’t understand, illustrated by the following
snippet:

\version "2.19.23"

PocoAccel = {
     \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text = "poco accel."
}

musicA = \relative c'' {    \repeat unfold 16 c4     }
dynamicsAHigh = \new Dynamics {    s1^AHigh s \PocoAccel s\startTextSpan
s\stopTextSpan        }
dynamicsALow  = \new Dynamics {    s1^ALow  s\p  s s\f        }
musicB = \relative c'' {    \repeat unfold 16 b4   }
dynamicsBHigh = \new Dynamics {   s1^BHigh s^"espress." s s }
dynamicsBLow =  \new Dynamics {   s1^BLow  s\f s s }

\score {
    \new StaffGroup <<
        \new Staff << \dynamicsAHigh \musicA \dynamicsALow >>
        \new Staff << \dynamicsBHigh \musicB \dynamicsBLow>>

}

Here I want each musical staff to have two dynamics contexts, one above the
musical staff for text spanners, etc., and one below for articulations and
dynamics.  But the above snippet results in both dynamics contexts being placed
below their musical staff instead of one above and one below.

Shouldn’t the line:

        \new Staff << \dynamicsAHigh \musicA \dynamicsALow >>

resullt in the ordering in the score:

        dynamicsAHigh
        musicA
        dynamicsALow