Re: arabic tabs?

From: BB
Subject: Re: arabic tabs?
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 15:18:12 +0200

Indeeed the code is helpful for my purposes to rember oud fingering! I can produce midi files as well. (First I had some problems, no idea what I did wrong, started again from scratch and it worked.) I am enthusiastic with this extension!!!

One (may be) problem is that one cannot mix the spellings, i. e. cis and cs. I can live with the "new" spelling of accidentals with your code and find it very pleasing and shorter as well. But I ( and for shure many others) do have "old" code, the want still to use and an extension or mix would be nice. A conversion is tedious. "is" and "s" ( as in as) is present in many other parts of code so a simple "replace all" is unrewarding. If the developers can be convinced to integrate this code additionally to the old way for simultaneously use is very questionable.

To summarize, I am very satisfied with that extension and could not find any bugs in my first attampts, beside the "incompatibility" problem described above.

Just for completeness of information:
In the arabic world there are different areas/schools/traditional lines that play notes slightly higher or lower than notated. For that there will be used arrows up or down in the music. For instance see
http://maqamworld.com/maqamat/sikah.html
at the bottom of the page "Maqam Sikah Baladi" you see such arrows. I think that compares to the "blue note" in the Blues, where the notation will give just an idea.

Maybe there is a oposibility to add such arrows to the sheet?

Persian qauartertones are generally played flatter, Turkish quartertones generally are played sharper, arabic ones are in the middle. But that is not a question of the notation. That is a regional difference in taste. Even in arabic music there is a west arabic and an east arabic style.

Well, I myself am just happy to find the correct quartertone in playing oud, regardless of persian/turkish/arabic! The tabs will help me in this!

Thanks again and have a nice weekend,
BB