Re: vertical spacing of rests

From: Michael Gerdau
Subject: Re: vertical spacing of rests
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 18:10:32 +0200

> Why would you want to use odd values here?

I was just playing with values. If only even numbers are supposed to
be used since they are the only "sensible" choices, then why not have
all values doubled internally anyway ?

> > W/o a documentation I can't judge whether that's intended, but it
> > is at least unexpected.
>
> What else would you expect when shifting a rest half a staff space?

First and foremost I would expect symmetric behaviour for positive and
negative values w/r to up/down placement.

That is not (always) the case as can be seen most prominently with
values 3 and -3 (3 seems to be effectively identical to 2). The same
goes for 5 and -5 (5 equals 4). suspect there is some rounding and
truncating involved.

Overall it seems displacement by half a staff space works for negative
values continously while for positive values it seems to jump. Or more
precisely for positive odd values greater 1.

I also would not have expected the additional lines drawn of which I
now expect they are drawn always but only become visible for odd
displacements.

As I wrote in my initial post:
I don't know whether that behaviour is not exactly as intended.

Kind regards,
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: address@hidden