Re: Make a new staff occupy the same vertical space as a previous staff

From: Joel Ebel
Subject: Re: Make a new staff occupy the same vertical space as a previous staff
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 09:50:13 -0400

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 2:53 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Oh wow.  This one is seriously annoying.  If you take out all
> \stopStaff, it is apparent that the TabStaff is alive through the whole
> piece.  This is also the case when replacing \new Line with \new
> StaffGroup.  This is something like the "the first new context in a
> group is kept alive" rule.  If you replace
>
>     \new TabStaff ...
>
> with
>
>     << \new DevNull {} \new TabStaff ... >>
>
> the problem goes away even without \stopStaff.  But that's seriously
> messed up.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

That's abstract, but the result is much better. The one remaining
issue is that if the switch to RhythmicStaff occurs on a line break,
TAB is still printed on the first subsequent line. I can live with it,
but is it possible to prevent that? Simple example below. TAB is on
line 2, but not line 3.

\version "2.19.25"

\new Line {
  <<