[Best Practices] splitting and combining choral parts

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: [Best Practices] splitting and combining choral parts
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:14:50 -0500

Hello list,

I’ve posted this question several times before, but the discussion always got
truncated or derailed… I’m hoping this time we can work this through to a
solution.

Choral pieces tend to have both sections of polyphony (requiring 4 or more
staves) and sections of homophony (requiring as few as 1 staff). I want to be
able to arbitrarily break systems and have Lilypond Do The Right Thing™, by
which I mean use the maximum number of systems when necessary, but combine
voices and lyrics to 3 or 2 staves or even 1 staff where possible.

Bonus points if we can convince Lily to automagically [e.g., via an engraver?]
put a user-definable markup indicating who is singing at a given moment, add
splitting-or-combining arrows at the end(s) of systems, etc.

I’ve attached the first 17 measures of one of my original carols as an example
we can work with/through. Is anyone out there willing to work with me to find
the Best Practice here? I’m happy to do this on-list or off-, as appropriate.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info