Re: makam.ly

From: Blöchl Bernhard
Subject: Re: makam.ly
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 09:27:37 +0100

Thank you for your detailed information. There is something to think about for me. And I will investigate regular.ly.

Regards BB

Am 22.02.2016 15:46, schrieb Hans Åberg:
On 22 Feb 2016, at 13:23, BB <address@hidden> wrote:

one full tonal step divided into 9 comma, in my opinion this is only of interest for classical/historical Turkish music, or for geographic intonation differences of folk music for field studies. In the today music practice notation is similar to the quarter tone notation.

This file tries to imitate the AUE (Arel-Ezgi-Uzdile), cf. Ozan
Yarman, "A Comparative Evaluation of Pitch Notations in Turkish Makam
Music”.

The AUE system uses E53, 53-equal temperament, which is very close to
Pythagorean tuning, The E53 tone steps are called commas, with major
second M = 9, minor second m = 4, and sharp # = 9 - 5 = 4 commas. The
AUE symbol # raises with 4 commas, and is not a Pythagorean tuning
sharp, which causes some confusion among performers.

The LilyPond implementation is not correct: it uses a multiple of E12,
and does not transpose correctly: the sharp should have been divided
into 5 steps.

One can use E53 by Graham Breed’s regular.ly, and the MIDI will then
come out correctly. And it is possible to use the SMuFL.org font with
http://www.openlilylib.org/, but that is a bit more complicated.

Arabic noatation \include arabic.ly
maqam -> plural maqamat
The notation simply divides a full tonal step into 4 intervals. There are geographic differences in the music practice as well. The lilypond practice to use italian note names does not meet the nowaday practice. I play Oud and most of the arbic players a meet use the english note names.The Italian note names are a hurdle for the English speaking users and others as well.

This is just a hack in E24 somebody did in order to do the notation.
E53 would be better, as above. The difference is to raise with with 2
commas for or lower with 3, except in Maqam Sikah Baladi [1].

1. http://www.maqamworld.com/maqamat/sikah.html#sikah-baladi