Re: always set beam outside of staff

From: Michael Winter
Subject: Re: always set beam outside of staff
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 01:38:38 -0700

 { d'16 [ r16  d'8 ] d'16 [ b'16\rest  d'8 ] \override Beam.positions =
#'(3.5 . 3.5)  d'16 [ r16  d'8 ] d''16 [ r16  d''8 ]}

In the above example there are 4 beamed groups.

1) default - the rest is pushed down

2) explicitly set rest y position using \rest - the beam stays in the
same position and collides with the rest

3) explicitly set beam position - this looks close to what I want, but I
really do not want to do this manually and I would like some minimal
dampening. I have no idea how to generally / programatically get the
beam out of the staff, get the rest where it would lie naturally of not
within a beamed group (as in both this and the previous example), and
have some dampening.

4) This group show that even if I were to try to set the position
programatically, I would have to do it based on the stem direction. In
this particular case I would need to set the position negative.

So to recap, there are a few things I am trying to do: generally get the
beam out of the staff, always center the rests vertically where they go
when not under a beam, and have some dampening.

Thanks!