Re: always set beam outside of staff

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: Re: always set beam outside of staff
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 17:25:20 +0200

For example, the (pseudo-code) sequence:
(treble clef, relative c'')
{ b4 r8.[ d16] r8.[ e16] r8.[ g16] }

when I would notate it would always either shove the 8. rest outside of the bar, or collide with it, or otherwise involve ugly beaming. I found I had to re-write the rests as something like { c8.\rest[ } each time, explicitly setting the position, and then use overrides on each group to set the stem length. This seems like pretty kludgy code to me (and a pain to have to do for each beam group). Cf. Gould 165.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 11:10 AM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is it possible to force a beam to always start (vertically) a minimum
> distance from the staff regardless of the stem direction?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

Hi Michael,

well, it's doable. But why should I help you making LilyPond-output ugly?
Is there any usecase which makes sense?

Convince me/us! ;)
And I will give it a try in the evening, now I have to run, job's calling.

Cheers,
  Harm