Re: Combining voices in American Hymns

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: Combining voices in American Hymns
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 21:56:04 +0100

On 12/09/16 19:21, Karlin High wrote:
> On 9/7/2016 11:56 PM, David F. wrote:
>> Is there a way to combine two voices and print both stems (up and down) when
>> the voices share a note?  \partcombine does not appear to do this by default.
>>
>> American SATB hymns are typically engraved with the soprano and alto voices
>> combined and the tenor and bass voices combined.  If a note in the soprano
>> voice has the same duration as the note in the alto voice, then the notes
>> for soprano and alto will share a stem.  If the durations are different,
>> then there is no sharing.  And if the notes are the same duration and the
>> same pitch, then the note with have both an up stem and a down stem.
>
> You're not alone with difficulties on American-style part combining.
> Another LilyPond user shared some of her work with me, and I'm still
> studying the approach she uses. Below is a small example I'm using for
> experiments. I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of LilyPond;
> maybe someone will take one look and say, "That will mostly work, but
> you will run into problems with such-and-such situations."
> --
> Karlin High
> Missouri, USA
<snip>

How is this "American-style"?  It sounds just the same as hymnbooks on
this side of the pond have done since (at least) the 19thC.  I tried to
enclose a scan of "Hymns Ancient & Modern" (the standard Anglican
hymnbook) of 1868 but it was rejected as too large [sorry moderator].
Briefly: SA in the treble clef, TB in the bass, note heads combined
where appropriate with the stems indicating which voice they apply to.
Is this not what you were describing?

Regards,
Martin