Re: Ties between words in lyrics

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Ties between words in lyrics
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 19:40:04 +0200

<mailto:address@hidden>>:

    Can I put a tie between words in lyrics?  In choral music, I've
    noticed that the composer will sometimes use this notation to
    indicate that the singer is not to breathe in-between two
    particular words.  I've looked around, but the only examples I've
    seen of ties used in Lilypond are between notes.

IIUC you meant two words on two notes without a breath inbetween, right?
Correct. Attached is what must be one of the most eyeballed instances.
My workaround is:
  high~ in
or even:
  high~ ~in
if there's a line break involved. But a real, breakable one would be great.

It would be great to have Tie_engraver work in lyrics, but then we’d have to think about a working input syntax. I figure that would likely involve something like \lyricmode { high \tie in heaven }. But it’s no more than a feature request.

Best, Simon