Re: Ties between words in lyrics

From: James Evensen
Subject: Re: Ties between words in lyrics
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 18:49:03 -0700

When I said "tie," I meant that general family of expressive marks as I wasn't sure how to refer to them in the context of lyrics.  In fact, while I would like the use of any type of curve, the dotted slur is the notation I want to use.

It sounds though that support for this kind of notation with lyrics isn't here yet.  I'm inserting "n.b." as markup where the choir isn't supposed to breathe at the moment, but if this ever gets added, I'd be most interested.

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi James,

> In choral music, I've noticed that the composer will sometimes use this notation to indicate that the singer is not to breathe in-between two particular words.

In my experience, the more standard/accepted way is to have a dotted slur between the notes, with the lyric-slur reserved for true elisions. In fact, I’ve *never* seen what you’re talking about, despite having sung in and composed for choirs for thirty years. Do you have references/scans that you can share?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info