Re: Augmentation dot positioning

From: Chris Yate
Subject: Re: Augmentation dot positioning
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 08:53:44 +0000

On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 at 09:38 Chris Yate <address@hidden> wrote:
On 9/18/16 4:00 PM, "Carl Sorensen" <address@hidden> wrote:
>Chris,
>
>Here's a patch.  But as Werner pointed out, it's not quite done yet.  I
>think I need to improve the badness scoring in order to get better
>configurations from which to remove excess dots.

Carl,

I'm beginning to understand the code, mainly thanks to reading your changes.

The problems with example #23 seem to be due to the dots being pushed further and further away from their noteheads.

Looking at the results, I suspect the positioning algorithm should try to place dots on the space-notes first, then work the line-notes around them.

Additionally, chord-dots-limit might be used to limit how far away the dots can be 'shifted' during the calculation process, rather than pruning the excess dots after the fact.

I'm not sure how best to change the rather complicated calc_positioning function to achieve that (and more importantly have to go to work now!) :-)

cheers,

Chris