Re: What to do wanting a 4th order Bézier?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: What to do wanting a 4th order Bézier?
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 19:29:39 +0200

On 21.09.2016 19:22, Urs Liska wrote:
Am 21.09.2016 um 19:18 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
On 9/21/16 10:22 AM, "Urs Liska"<address@hidden>  wrote:
         The other thing I came across is the specification of the
        inflection*point*. Basically the idea of specifying independent
        X and Y ratios between the slur's endpoints seems practical, as
        it is pretty predictable. But I realized that this only works
        well when the endpoints are sufficiently different on the
        Y-scale. If the slur is horizontal then*any*  inflection will
        necessarily be on that same horizontal line! So I need a
        suggestion what could be a suitable, predictable*and*
        un-limited approach to specifying this.
I think that you could use the X fraction as the X coordinate of the
inflection point.  And you could use a Y offset (in staff spaces from the
starting point) as the Y coordinate of the inflection point.  It seems
that should be relatively easy to implement.
Implementing that is easy, of course. What I'm thinking about mostly is
the predictability of the results when anything changes, for example the
Y coordinate of either point.

What would you think of using a staff-space offset for Y (as per your
suggestion) but apply it to the vertical center between the two
endpoints? That way the whole slur should somewhat shift together with
changed Y of an end point.

Would it be acceptable to have a pair? as an argument when the two
elements*do*  refer to X and Y but with completely different behaviour?
Or should that then be separated to two individual properties?

That sounds like way over the top. The user interface should be reasonably easy to understand, so I’d prefer a simple staff-space offset for Y. It seems like a good idea to do it relative to the vertical center between the two endpoints, then 0 as a default is sensible.

Best, Simon