toplevel-music-handler and friends

From: Paul
Subject: toplevel-music-handler and friends
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 14:24:56 -0400

Hi all,

I discovered some useful LilyPond hooks: "toplevel-music-handler" and friends.

Often I will create a version of a piece that shows it on two types of staff, as simultaneous music.  For example, the same music on a regular Staff and a TabStaff.  That's easy enough to do by putting the music in variables and setting up a score block with parallel staves, etc.

But the file attached shows how you can use these hooks to intercept and modify the music on the fly with scheme.  This lets you include a file like the one attached (e.g. via a command line option) to create output with two types of staff, without having to modify the music file.

Anyway, just a neat little trick.  I'm sure there are other potential uses for these hooks.  I thought I'd share my file in case anyone else would find it useful.  Still a work in progress, proof of concept, not well tested, won't work for all possible input, etc.

Cheers,
-Paul