Re: Changing voice order...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Changing voice order...
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2016 11:20:24 +0100

Alexander Kobel <address@hidden> writes:

> I mostly set vocal music - typically clean SATB with exactly four
> voices on either two or four staves, but sometimes a voice splits to
> two or three in between.  In that case, I'll almost always have a
> four-staves situation.  This screams for << \\ >> or << \\ \\ >>.
>
> However, I attach lyrics to the voices, and that's why I give them
> sensible names - namely, "sop" (or "soprano"), "alt", etc.  The
> implicit voice naming with << \\ >> means that I have to split my
> lyrics to separate context, or I'll have to rename the voices inside
> << \\ >>.

No, it just means that your lyrics have to follow the staff rather than
a single voice unless your lyrics split as well.

Can't find the issue number where this was made to work.  Still has
problems with overlapping melismata if I remember correctly, so maybe
that's why it's not advertised prominently.

--
David Kastrup