Re: Changing voice order...

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Changing voice order...
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 08:55:00 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 7:49 AM, David Kastrup [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> By the way, the top position with 369 double backslashes is this piece:
> https://github.com/MutopiaProject/MutopiaProject/blob/master/ftp/BachJS/BWV830/BWV-830/BWV-830-lys/BWV-830.ly

This particular one is... horrific.

Wow. Amen to that.

One thing that is obvious that \relative pitch is a real mess to keep
track of in this kind of highest/lowest/high/low scheme.  It works quite
more natural in high-to-low stackings.

Like I said before, I personally have no qualms with the format of the current << \\ \\ \\ ... >> syntax. I use it in piano scores all the time, but never when working with associated lyrics because I understand the what the syntax does under the covers. You use it enough and it's not so confusing any more.

That being said, I really like the idea of changing the order of voices so they can be input from high-to-low and the common use of \relative mode would suggest that is an improvement over the current form.

I'd also like to re-iterate the need to have this vertical hierarchy apply to the rests in those respective voices so that the "inner" voices' rests get pushed inwards as well, or at least towards the vertical position of where their notes are. I realize this is likely no small undertaking and I can make due without it. Maybe one day I can even get into the details myself and implement it myself. Who knows...

Best,
Abraham