Re: crop marks in PDF for printing

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: crop marks in PDF for printing
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 11:56:07 +0100

Am 2016-11-03 um 17:22 schrieb Federico Bruni <address@hidden>:

> Tomorrow morning I need to print a book and I've just been asked to add "crop
> marks" (I think this is the right expression) to the final PDF. IIUC crop
> marks are not needed when printing with normal printers, but it's needed for
> serious digital and offset printing machines.

Hi Federico,

even if you could solve the problem, it should not have been necessary.

Crop marks are not needed for printing, but for cutting the final product,
independent of the printing method.

I guess your PDF pages are not bigger than those of your printed book and you
don’t have any elements dangling ("bleeding") over the edge? Then there is no
need for crop marks.

Even if your PDF pages are bigger than the intended printed pages, you could
easily define "trim box" and "bleed box" of the PDF. A printshop that cannot
handle these nowadays is no serious business. But then they could do that for
you, too.

(BTW I studied typesetter and printing engineer, worked in printshops for
decades.)

Greetlings, Hraban
---
fiëé visuëlle