RE: need help

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: RE: need help
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2016 17:07:25 +1100

Hello Peter,

Welcome to lilypond. It’s a great tool. With all software, there’s a learning curve. Don’t be put off. The list members will generally help you out – it’s a very good community online.

Lilypond is essentially a command line application. There are various front ends. Many people are very happy with Frescobaldi, which I use with great success. Frescobaldi is a separate program to lilypond.

I am also a Mac user. Your OS versions are not only old, but no longer even supported by Apple. Is there any practical reason preventing you from upgrading? Is you hardware also too old to upgrade? You would certainly benefit from the new mac OS if not in terms of features but in terms of current support.

Lilypond, coming from a UNIX heritage, works very well  indeed in a Linux environment. There is a lot to be said for running Linux in a virtual machine with VirtualBox on the mac and running lilypond in a Linux VM.

Andrew