Re: Forcing and preventing page-turns

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Forcing and preventing page-turns
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 07:26:19 -0600

On Sat 05 Nov 2016 at 21:25:07 (+0100), Urs Liska wrote:

> Am 05.11.2016 um 21:20 schrieb David Sumbler:
> > It always seems to be a bit hit-and-miss for me when I try to arrange
> > the pagination of instrumental parts.  Reading the manual it isn't
> > clear to me how I can force page turns to occur *only* at the points I
> > choose.
>
> \override Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-permission = ##f
>
> will prevent any automatic breaks.
>

> > Also, Lilypond doesn't like ending on an even-numbered page.  How can I
> > force it not to add an unnecessary extra page at the end of a part?
> >  The reason is that the part in question can fit on to 12 pages.  I
> > don't want it extended to 13 because that means an extra sheet of paper
> > and 3 blank pages at the end of the part.
>
> I don't know if there's a way to automatically achieve what you want,
> but you can always force the actual number of pages with
>
> \paper {
>   page-count = 12
> }

(I've just rechecked the following with 2.19.49)

My experience with page-count is that all too often it causes LP to
set early pages too slackly, and then overfills the last page.
Here's an example of the logs.

with    %%page-count = 6   :

GNU LilyPond 2.19.49
Processing `back.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...[8][16][24][32][40][48][56][64][72][80]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 6 or 7 pages...
Drawing systems...
Layout output to `/tmp/lilypond-tMciM6'...
Converting to `back-4staves.pdf'...
Deleting `/tmp/lilypond-tMciM6'...
Success: compilation successfully completed

Output is just how I want it, on six pages with three systems/page.

With   page-count = 6   :

GNU LilyPond 2.19.49
Processing `forced-back.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...[8][16][24][32][40][48][56][64][72][80]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
programming error: number of pages is out of bounds
continuing, cross fingers
programming error: tried to space systems on a bad number of pages
continuing, cross fingers
Fitting music on 6 pages...
programming error: number of pages is out of bounds
continuing, cross fingers
programming error: tried to space systems on a bad number of pages
continuing, cross fingers
Drawing systems...
warning: compressing over-full page by 22.6 staff-spaces
warning: page 6 has been compressed
Layout output to `/tmp/lilypond-bXpCvR'...
Converting to `forced-back-4staves.pdf'...
Deleting `/tmp/lilypond-bXpCvR'...
Success: compilation successfully completed

Output is on six pages with four systems squashed onto the last page.

Cheers,
David.