Alignment of instrument names

From: Francesco Napoleoni
Subject: Alignment of instrument names
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 15:28:24 +0100

Hello everyone

A foreword: I’m an italian enthusiastic LilyPond user and I want to thank you
all for your efforts in making such a beautiful piece of software.

Now my question: (how) can I get instrument names at the start of staves
automatically aligned to the internal page margin?

The code (minimal, I hope) is attached as mozart.ly and the result as
mozart.pdf. The problem is that the string “Violoncello e contrabbasso” goes
out of the page edge, as can be seen on the pdf.

At the moment the only workaround I have found is to fiddle with “indent”.

I have to add that in some handcrafted editions I have seen, the indentation
of the first system is based on the width of the longest instrument name,
the latter starting at the printing margin.

In principle such alignment could be obtained enclosing the column of all the
instrument names in a box, which in turn could be aligned to the printing
margin, but I don’t have a clue on how to achieve this in LilyPond.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Francesco Napoleoni