Re: Ties over multiple chords

From: Mojca Miklavec
Subject: Re: Ties over multiple chords
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 10:06:49 +0100

On 11 November 2016 at 09:49, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-11-11 at 09:15 +0100, Urs Liska wrote:
>> Try \set tieWaitForNotes = ##t
>
> Is there any circumstance in which it is useful to have this set false?
> That is, why is it not the default? (I never found this and when
> typesetting some music that made extensive use of written arpeggiation,
> instead I laboriously constructed workarounds ...)

The second alternative in my example is one use case when one might
want to have this set to false.

If it is set to false, one can simply do:
    <g b d' f'>8~ <f b d' f'>4.

If it is true, one has to put a tie on each separate pitch:
    <g b~ d'~ f'~>8 <f b d' f'>4.
else g will wait forever and tie to some random pitch somewhere else.

(Not to mention that newbies probably frequently mistakenly use this
instead of slurs and might wonder why the connection to a pitch three
lines lower.)

A bigger problem might be that this command is a bit nontrivial to find.

Mojca