Re: best practices with tempo markings

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: best practices with tempo markings
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 17:05:52 -0700 (MST)

Tobian

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 3:50 PM, Tobin Chodos [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
This one really is basic, but: a \tempo command in a large score will automatically register on each part, right?  that is, if I insert the marking to change tempo in the flute part in bar 2, it will appear on every other part...so where is it advisable to put it?

It will and it won't. By default, it is collected by the Score context, so it will only appear above the top-most Staff unless you give a particular staff permission to print it as well via a \with { \consists "Metronome_mark_engraver" }. If you put the \tempo command in-line with the part's music and reuse the same variable in the full score and part score, then it will show up in both.

However, I find it prudent to put any Score-level items that generally don't change from part to part (e.g., \tempo, \time, \key, \bar, etc.) in a global variable that basically defines the structure and where each of those items appears. For example:

struct = {
  \tempo 4=120
  \time 3/4
  \key a \minor
  s2.*7
  \bar "||"
  \tempo 4=80
  \time 4/4
  s1*10
  \bar "|."
}

This I then place in a simultaneous construct with each part within the \score blocks. Thus, I can manage the overall structure in ONE place, but apply it everywhere, both the full-score and individual parts. For example:

% full score
\score {
  <<
    \new Staff << \struct \violinNotes >>
    \new Staff << \struct \violaNotes >>
    \new Staff << \struct \celloNotes >>
    \new Staff << \struct \bassNotes >>

}

% violin part
\score {
  \new Staff << \struct \violinNotes >>
}

% viola part
\score {
  \new Staff << \struct \violaNotes >>
}

% cello part
\score {
  \new Staff << \struct \celloNotes >>
}

% bass part
\score {
  \new Staff << \struct \bassNotes >>
}

There are a variety of ways to customize this to your tastes and uses, but this has been very reliable for me.

Hope that helps,
Abraham