Re: Getting a new computer

From: SoundsFromSound
Subject: Re: Getting a new computer
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 06:03:30 -0700 (MST)

Vaughan McAlley wrote
> Greetings,
>
> My 2008 iMac is reaching the end of its useful life, and I would like to
> replace it with some kind of desktop computer that runs Debian. Given that
> a significant proportion of my time on this new computer will be compiling
> Lilypond files, I was wondering which specs I should be prioritizing.
>
> I’ve included a large project if anyone with a newish computer would like
> to test their compilation time. The main file is MDSM.ly. It takes my
> computer between 4 and 5 minutes to compile.
>
> Cheers,
> Vaughan

> Carver.zip (81K)
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/attachment/196736/0/Carver.zip>

Hi there,

On my 2010 Linux custom build machine it compiled on average between 60-70
seconds. I'm running an original core i7 860 from back in the day (ca.
2009), with 8GB ram. Great looking score!

Hope this helps you.

You should be all set with almost any machine these days, compared to what
you have been used to...LilyPond is not as demanding on CPU/GPU as you may
think she is... ;)

-----
composer | sound designer
LilyPond Tutorials (for beginners) --> http://bit.ly/bcl-lilypond