Re: Vertically overlapping material / too small vertical space

From: Mojca Miklavec
Subject: Re: Vertically overlapping material / too small vertical space
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 20:00:59 +0100

Dear Phil,

On 30 November 2016 at 16:47, Phil Holmes wrote:
> I think the use of  \context is getting the vertical spacing engine
> confused.  I _think_ my attached version of your music does what you want -
> it would seem to point in the right direction, at the very least.

I changed your document slightly and rearranged it in the way I want it.

But the problem is still present. So no, it doesn't seem to fix it.

I need a horizontally aligned list of button labels / fingerings. Most
of the time I need two labels, but every so often I need three or four
(when a chord consists of three or four pitches).

I would prefer to use something like the following (please excuse me,
the syntax is not functional, but it should demonstrate what I want):

    <f-\x{"B4"} a-\x{"B5"}>4
    <f-\x{"B4"} a-\x{"B5"} c'-\x{"B6"}>4

Here's a working syntax (demonstrating the problem / why I cannot use it):

  \score {
    \fixed c' {
      %
      % looks almost perfect, but I'm unable to use anything but simple numbers
      %
      f4-4 <f-4 a-5> <f-4 a-5 c'-6> f-4
      %
      % proper text, but horrible output
      %
      f4^\markup{\column{"B4"}}
      <f a>^\markup{\column{"B5" "B4"}}
      <f a c'>^\markup{\column{"B6" "B5" "B4"}}
      f^\markup{\column{"B4"}}

But this doesn't work: I'm unable to align it horizontally. That's the
reason why I'm currently misusing lyrics.

(Mis)using lyrics is both tedious and error-prone (if I change "c8"
into "c16 c" somewhere, then all the labels are screwed up and I have
to go through the tedious work of finding and fixing the labels at the
right place).

Your example works because you move the third and the fourth line. I
need them aligned above the first and second line though, even if it's
usually empty.

Mojca