Re: brittenPhrygolydian

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: brittenPhrygolydian
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 11:00:39 -0500

Hi David,

> There is no default setting.  Padding controls the overall spacing
> (with extra space allotted to naturals); you use padding-pairs to
> affect certain collocations.

Yes. I just think that there should be a better default than the one that was
made apparent by Simon’s post yesterday, e.g.

%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.19.54"

brittenPhrygolydian = #`((0 . ,NATURAL) (1 . ,FLAT) (2 . ,NATURAL)
   (3 . ,SHARP) (4 . ,NATURAL) (5 . ,NATURAL) (6 . ,FLAT))

\relative {
 \key g \brittenPhrygolydian
 g'4 as b cis
 d e f g
}

\relative {
 \tweak padding-pairs #'((("accidentals.flat" . "accidentals.sharp") . 0.25))
 \key g \brittenPhrygolydian
 g'4 as b cis
 d e f g
}%
%%  SNIPPET ENDS

I understand that there are a huge number of possible key signatures, but can’t
the collision in the first example (does it bother anyone else?) be "pre-fixed"
somehow?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer