Re: tuplet slurs

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: tuplet slurs
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 18:11:09 +0100 (CET)

>> For voices with lyrics it is common to put triplet indications
>> always above the staff, using the following rules.
>>
>>   . stems up or down, no beam: as usual (i.e., a number and a
>>      bracket at the top, as if using \tupletUp)
>>
>>    . stems up, with beam: as usual (i.e., a number over the beam)
>>
>> The last case, however, is unusual:
>>
>>    . stem down, with beam: a number and a *slur* at the top.

BTW, these rules can be found in the vocal score of `Arabella' (by
Richard Strauss), for example.

> It strikes me that I've seen code somewhere that uses slurs instead of
> brackets.  I find this:
> http://www.lilypondforum.de/index.php?topic=1658.0

Yes, I can remember that also – very nice!

> The results look great, but of course, the slur is broken.  It might
> not be hard to modify that routine to do what you want..

Oh, I actually don't really care whether the slur is broken or not.
I'm rather interested in having a lilypond option to make it behave
(i.e., differentiate between tuplet slur and tuplet brackets) as
outlined above.

> [...]  Also, a full bracket might be used if the tuplet number
> wouldn't intersect the bracket.  Maybe this should be default
> behavior?  I know I've seen the bracket notation in Britten, albeit
> without the tuplet number.

I think making lilypond provide unbroken tuplet slurs and brackets is
a welcome addition :-)

    Werner