Re: Lilypond hogging a processor and slowing down

From: SoundsFromSound
Subject: Re: Lilypond hogging a processor and slowing down
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 07:57:11 -0700 (MST)

ptoye wrote

*
*

> -------------------------
>
> In the last few days LP has slowed right down when using Frescobaldi -
> engraving a one-bar snippet took 25 seconds! And it was completely hogging
> one processor - 24.9% utilisation on a 4-processor machine.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Peter
> mailto:

> lilypond@

> www.ptoye.com

Peter,

One core? 25% /usage/? That's really not a problem for any modern /
quad-core system. That's nothing. It shouldn't cause any instability on the
overall computer. Now, are you experiencing slow /engraving/ times? That's a
bit different...

On Windows, I've found that rebuilding the font cache does indeed "fix" the
"slow LilyPond engraving" issue that's crept up from time to time. Not an
issue on GNU/Linux machines in my experience.

It's as simple as clearing the font cache and I've noticed flawless zippy
engraving speeds after that. From as bad as 45 seconds down to 5 seconds in
no time!

Not sure if this applies to Windows 7, but you could try that if you see
engraving speeds slow down (not related to CPU threads, per se).

Hope this helps.

Now, if LilyPond ever maxes out 4 cores + 4 cores of hyper-threading to 98%
CPU, then that's a problem. But that won't be happening anytime soon...   ;)

Have a good one!

-----
composer | sound designer | asmr artist
LilyPond Tutorials (for beginners) --> http://bit.ly/bcl-lilypond