Re: Is there any way to use dynamics as prefixes?

From: caagr98
Subject: Re: Is there any way to use dynamics as prefixes?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 20:37:50 +0100

On 02/28/17 20:14, David Kastrup wrote:
Well, but slurs can start at the same note where another slur ends, and
`c'4( d')( e')' is a lot clearer to me than `(c'4 (d') d')'

I can honestly say I've never seen that, and I can't really imagine how that'd even be played. I agree that that looks like some sort of weird nesting, which isn't too great.

But if you prefer the latter, just start your music file with

"("=<>(

What is this, Perl?

and you are all set.  At one point of time, LilyPond worked like that,
and it wasn't really working all that well.

Might be better to just get used to it, then. Would probably help if Vim's lilypond highlighting didn't suck.

Incidentally, the empty chord <> is helpful for your example as well:

<>\mp
\notes
\notes
<>\ff
\notes

That seems quite useful, yes. AsI'm guessing it basically creates an empty zero-length chord and attaches stuff to that, how come the dynamics look like they're attached to the next note instead of before it? Is it because that would be silly?