Re: Using italic font for TextScript messes up \dynamic display

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Using italic font for TextScript messes up \dynamic display
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 23:18:25 +0100

> I'm using custom font of which I have only regular italic variant; while it
> makes expression text look good, it also makes dynamics made in \markup
> appear like they were typed in this font instead with my music font.
>

> MWE (somewhat):
>
> \version "2.19.55"
> c\sfz-\markup { \italic "cresc." } %works
> c-\markup { \dynamic "sfz" \italic "cresc." } %sfz is displayed in
> TextScript font instead of music font
>
> How it looks like; left = \dynamic in \markup, right = note\dynamic -
> http://i.imgur.com/N0QodeO.png
>
> Is there a way to set it so \dynamics will display actual glyph from my
> music font? If you're wondering about the font, I bought it, so I'm kinda
> limited to only regular italic variant; besides - if it's rendering the
> TextScript font anyway, it would look bad when paired with actual music font
> dynamic glyph... which is weird, because it ~should~ render music font
> always, right? When using default TextScript font, it works perfectly, so I
> assume there's a problem having only one variant of the this font (regular
> italics).
>
> As a workaround I'm using #(make-dynamic-script) when using combined
> dynamics, or \musicglyph; it's troublesome to adjust following text every
> time and messing with overrides though. Also, \musicglyph is nice for single
> letter + text, but it fails when doing combined dynamics. Found out that
> using \markup { \dynamic p \override #'(font-name . "font") \italic "text" }
> works too, but it would've been great if it worked out of the box. Thanks
> for your suggestions guys.
>
> Pozdrawiam,
> Krzysztof Gutowski

Hi Krzysztof,

I've no good idea what works for you under which circumstances and
what you really want.
This may be a language issue. As a non-native speaker myself I tend to
put in my posts compilable, (and where needed) commented code,
demonstrating the problem.
In other words, I'd prefer less descripting text but more code ;)

That said, if I guess your intends correctly the following may help:

#(define-markup-command (dynamic layout props arg)
  (markup?)
  (interpret-markup
   layout
   (prepend-alist-chain 'font-name #f
     (prepend-alist-chain 'font-encoding 'fetaText props)) arg))

{
  \override TextScript.font-name = "Purisa"
  c\sfz-\markup { \italic "cresc." }
  c-\markup { \dynamic  "sfz" \italic "cresc." }

  Harm