Stability of development versions - was Re: Problem with bar numbers

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Stability of development versions - was Re: Problem with bar numbers
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 23:31:26 +1100

Hi All,

What David has written is naturally true. But I just wanted to say
that I have been using the progressive development versions for some
years and as far as open source software goes I am compelled to say
they are incredibly stable and reliable. I hammer lilypond with
engraving really dense New Complexity scores all day long full time
and I have only personally ever had one or perhaps two crashing bugs,
each of which could be worked around, or were quickly fixed by the
development team. I am full of nothing but praise for the development
team. Their work is exceptional and we are most grateful. It is on
this basis that I recommend people to upgrade from 2.18.2 to the
newest. Yes, 2.18.2 is the designated stable release, but the dev.
versions are of such high quality that it is almost too humble to call
them unstable, and the advantages of all the marvellous new features
outweigh, for me at least, the very low risk of crashing. And what is
there to lose? If a development version crashes, go back to using
2.18.2.