Re: Unexpected stem behaviour

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Unexpected stem behaviour
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 18:33:36 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerard" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:07 PM
Subject: Unexpected stem behaviour

Dear All,
I noticed some weird behaviour with stem directions after compiling (both on Linux and Windows).
Consider these two lines of code from a score:

\version 2.18.2

% bar 30
\relative bes'' << {bes4 c d} \\ {\relative bes'' {bes32 f d bes} \change Staff = "lower" {f,, d bes f} \change Staff = "upper" {c''' bes f c} \change Staff = "lower" {bes f c bes} \change Staff = "upper" {d'' bes f d} \change Staff = "lower" {bes f d bes} \change Staff = "upper"}>>

% bar 32
\relative f''' << {f4 e d} \\ {\relative f''' {f32 d bes f} \stemUp \change Staff = "lower" {d, bes f d} \stemNeutral \change Staff = "upper" {e'' d bes e,} \change Staff = "lower" {d bes e, d } \change Staff = "upper" {d'' bes f d} \change Staff = "lower" {bes f d bes} \change Staff = "upper"}>>

The desired stem direction is "up" for the top Voice quarter and 4*down and 4*up for the 32nd notes of each quarter.
In bars 1 - 29 this compiles perfectly.
In bar 30 it compiles as 8*down for the 32nd notes.

In bar 31 the first quarter the stem direction if forced to up on the lower staff and reverted to produce the correct stem direction. Now also the stem direction of the succeeding quarters are correct. They changed automatically??
And then in bar 32 it compiles again as 8*down.

Did I run into a bug or am I missing something?

Thanks for any comment.

Regards,
Gerard

It's difficult to say why what you see is happening, because the code you've provided runs with loads of errors. Could you either provide a compilable tiny version, or check the output from LilyPond for errors yourself?

--
Phil Holmes