Re: No R in input! (Proposal for discussion)

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: No R in input! (Proposal for discussion)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 00:47:57 +0200

Hi

> I have a hard time understanding how one can consider the visuals of
>
> { \time 2/4 r4*12 }
> { \time 2/4 R4*12 }
>
> as conveying the same semantics.

I don't understand what's so hard to understand about Simons question.
Of course there is a difference between the full measure rest and a
normal rest. LilyPond offers the r and R to write them. I learned that
way when learning LP and it always made sense to me. The question is if
that distinction could be done automatically without the user having to
care about it.

Simon's mail makes perfectly sense to me and from all the discussion so
far, I still can't see why the distinction couldn't be done by the
engraver following a given layout setting. The two examples above only
show that LP handles r and R differently (of course).

One situation where I am not sure the automatic algo would do the right
thing is this: Generally, I would use the "R-layout" for rests of one or
more measures. But in a polyphone SATB choir, when only one voice has a
rest lasting the whole measure, is it still that clear? Isn't it more
similar to the half measure rest (r) in the other voice? Perhaps there
are clear rules for that. I just wanted to mention it.

Best,
Joram