Re: Multiple instruments in score and parts

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Multiple instruments in score and parts
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 22:08:02 +0100

On Thu, 2017-04-13 at 14:37 +0100, David Sumbler wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-04-13 at 09:19 -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> >
> > Hi David,
> >

> > > At the moment I cannot really see how to deal with this sort of
> > > problem, other than having completely separate input for the
> > > score
> > > and
> > > the part at these points, controlled by tags.  But is there a
> > > better
> > > way - one which requires less duplication of material in the
> > > input?
> > >
> > > Any suggestions or pointers to help with this will be gratefully
> > > received!
> > If you search for ‘divisi’ on the list — and sort in reverse
> > chronological order (which really should be the default!) — you’ll
> > find many related threads, containing lots of hints and tips on how
> > to attack this problem (e.g.,
> > <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-08/msg00256.html>).
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Kieren.
> It does - I simply hadn't thought of searching for "divisi"!  Even
> after a cursory glance at some of the stuff that that search comes up
> with, I can see that this is going to be very helpful.
>
> Thanks
>
> David

I have now read these threads, and in particular the one mentioned in
the quoted material above.

I downloaded and compiled the various files and I am very impressed by
what can be automated using these techniques - just the sort of thing I
was hoping for.  Thank you to those involved in developing this.

That thread is now 8 months old, and I wondered what has happened
since.  I assume that eventually some elements will be built into
LilyPond so that, for instance, the long Context definitions don't need
to be included in source files.

So where are things up to?  Is some of it yet incorporated into the
development version of LilyPond?  Is it likely to be included in the
eventual LilyPond 2.20?

What I really want to know is whether it would be worth my while
waiting a little longer before embarking on projects where these
techniques will be useful (and risking brain damage in the attempt!) -
there is no actual hurry in my case.

David