Re: Apple stealing "Lily"

From: Robert Schmaus
Subject: Re: Apple stealing "Lily"
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 08:50:39 +0200

On 5 May 2017, at 07:35, Michael Gerdau <address@hidden> wrote:

> Anybody remembering apple sueing apple records for trademark infringement?

Also, if I recall correctly, the lawsuit wasn't about trademark infringement at
all. I think Apple Corps had an understanding with the newly founded Apple Inc
that the latter may use its chosen name and logo as long as it doesn't go into
the music publishing business.

Oh blast, now I looked it up on the Wikipedia entry anyway. So it turns out
that Apple Corps sued Apple Inc not one but *three* times.

First time for copyright infringement - settled by both Apples promising not to
tap into the other's business.
Second time for Apple Inc adding Midi and Recording capabilities to their
computers.
Third time for launching the iTunes Store.

At no time did Apple Inc sue Apple Corps (at least I couldn't find any evidence
of that).

Sorry folks, I know, all this doesn't belong on this list, but "alternative
facts" should be addressed wherever one finds them ...

> Or apple filing a lawsuit against M$ for copying the concept of
> graphical UI using mouse and windows and such thereby completely
> ignoring the fact that apple stole this whole concept from Xerox.

Some more alternative facts here. Apple made a deal with the Xerox management
(who completely failed to see the potential of a GUI) - basically, Xerox sold
Apple the concept in return for Apple shares with a net value of 16 Million $.
Apple didn't steal anything, they just didn't invent the concept themselves.