Re: showing TimeSignatures on each line?

From: Evan Laforge
Subject: Re: showing TimeSignatures on each line?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 14:02:29 -0700

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 1:46 PM, Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Evan,
>

> On 29.08.2017 22:26, Evan Laforge wrote:
>>
>> In music where the time signature changes a lot, it's nice to show the
>> time signature on each line even when it hasn't changed.
>

> Are you sure? Who does that? I looked in the very finely engraved full score
> of Stravinsky’s Sacre, and Stravinsky and/or the engraver(s) didn’t find it
> necessary/desirable. If it’s unnecessary there, it should be unnecessary
> anywhere.

You might be right, I might just have made this up.  I too have the
Rite score, but it's the conductors score, so it's reasonable to
expect the conductor to always know what the meter is.  I have the
situation where the meter changes rarely enough that you might have to
scan back several systems to find a change, but often enough that if
someone says "start at measure 87" that no one will know right off
what the meter is there.  I started the practice because I myself
would have to either count beats or scan back when starting in some
arbitrary spot, but maybe more skilled folks can see the time
signature more quickly than I can and don't need such training wheels.
I number every bar too :)