Re: Key signature on multiple staves

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Key signature on multiple staves
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2017 09:36:09 +0200

Robert Murdoch <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm really sorry, everyone. I did not mean to come across as rude.

I don't think you did.  People just get excited.

With regard to your request, there are basically two actions that the
Key_engraver does: typeset a signature change and execute the property
changes of a \key event.

This is different from how time signatures work where the actual time
signature "event" does not actually employ an engraver but triggers a
callback that will then get the "Timing" context and set properties
there, and an engraver at Staff level that reacts to such changes.

This allows time signatures to react to moving around the Timing
context/alias without having to move an accompanying engraver.  The
Key_engraver and its associated events are organized differently and
there is no corresponding functionality like the "Timing" context
anyway for key signatures.

Also, key signatures are fundamentally specified in score pitch and
having a unique infrastructure for transferring keys would mean you'd
need some information transferring mechanism for transposing instruments
in order to get to and from concert pitch.

With an explicit signature, you can just explicitly say

{ \transpose b' c' \global ...

or similar, depending on whether you'd rather enter in concert pitch or
instrument pitch.

--
David Kastrup