Re: Moving a tempo mark to the right

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Moving a tempo mark to the right
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2017 22:36:17 +0200

Anthony Youngman <address@hidden> writes:

> On 01/09/17 15:17, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
>> Hi Wol,
>>

>>> While it may sound weird. the reality is you probably didn't find
>>> it too hard to learn Scheme, because you're a composer not a
>>> programmer.
>>
>> Actually, I am a programmer: started with BASIC (and a little
>> assembler language) in the early 1980s, then FORTRAN (including
>> WATFIV) and APL in the late 1980s, then Java in the late 1990s, and
>> a bunch of lesser languages (scripting, etc.) along the way.
>>
>>> Because I'm a procedural (that is. C and Fortran) programmer, it's
>>> a lot harder for me to learn Scheme because it's a completely
>>> different *sort* of language.
>>
>> I agree that it's very difficult for some procedural programmers to
>> learn. I found the same thing when I taught XSL(T), which I find
>> extremely intuitive, but many of my students (and programmer
>> friends) find it impossible to get their mind around.
>
> I find the same thing with databases. So many people have their minds
> stuck in the 2-D relational world, and just cannot grasp the concept
> of a multi-dimensional database like Pick. Given that Pick is very
> much list-based (unlike SQL which is set-based), why can't I grasp a
> list-based language like Scheme? And Pick is very XML-like!

Because Scheme (like all LISP variants) does not even have a programming
language.  It has a clever way to write down parse trees as a
computer-readable data structure, bypassing the step of coding in a
programming language.  That makes it brilliant for structure-preserving
program manipulation and AI.

> Thanks - I'll look up and understand what it does. The only snag is
> that I've got 2.18.2, which doesn't like your code. That's the latest
> on SuSE, and my gentoo system (which I daren't upgrade at the moment)
> is even older - 2.15.12

2.15.12 is stupid: that's an early version in the unstable 2.15 branch.

If your distribution lets you down, you might try installing a binary
from our download page.

--
David Kastrup