Re: Show Key name and first note of song?

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Show Key name and first note of song?
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 08:09:28 -0500

Hi David,

On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 12:25 AM, David F. <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have a hymnal that prints the name of the key and the first note the song
> above the treble clef sign of the first staff.  So, for example, if you have
> Amazing Grace in the key of G major, the first note of the soprano (melody)
> part is a D.  That is printed as “G/D”.
>
> Can lilypond do that?  I thought I had seen an example of that somewhere, but
> I can’t find it now.

I don't know where you saw this on the lists, but attached you'll find
a solution.

I wrote a markup command which takes a music expression and finds the
relevant information.  In the example, I show two ways of using it, as
a top-level-markup and as a mark.  (The mark will have better
alignment possibilities.  It's not hard to get it over the treble
clef, for example.)

Hope this helps!

David N.

P. S. It's probably possible to write an engraver for this.
P. P. S.  I avoided the function note-name->markup because I don't
like the gap it creates between note name and accidental.  My code
could use some height adjustment for accidentals, though.