Re: video generation

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: video generation
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 11:04:39 +0100

On 4 September 2017 at 06:24, Knut Petersen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am 03.09.2017 um 19:36 schrieb Adam Spiers:
>> However please don't write off ly2video just because I
>> haven't done much with it recently (except for today).
>
> The most annoying bugs should really be fixed. One example: The problem that
> ly2video needs pure 7-bit ascii as input has been discussed on this list 54
> months ago.

Yes, as I mentioned on GitHub this is almost certainly best fixed by
updating ly2video to use python-ly instead of its ancient ly module
imported from a very old Frescobaldi:

https://github.com/aspiers/ly2video/issues/58#issuecomment-326819078

I don't expect this would be a big job, but unfortunately I didn't get
round it yet since I rarely have free time, the issue didn't affect me
at all, and noone else seemed keen to collaborate.

Having said that, maybe it's worth directing our efforts in other
directions anyway:

>>   It has some nice features, like multiple scrolling modes, and the
>> ability to
>> synchronise the video perfectly with live performances with variable
>> tempi.  In the long term it'd be great if the LilyPond community
>> converged on a single best-of-breed solution.
>
> Yes.

I've filed https://github.com/aspiers/ly2video/issues/67 to track
this.  Are you willing to help with it?  Obviously there's no rush
(I'm not free most of this month anyway), but it would be a lot harder
to achieve without your support.